Wednesday, September 30, 2009

RIGHT VERSUS WRONG


Sometimes we do something wrong intentionally or not intentionally. Which one is better or in more accurate description which one is the lesser evil? I am thinking about what I did something wrong during my last 20 years and how many of them were intentionally. One, two, three… I cannot count it because they are too many to count. We can ask who is responsible for those attitudes such as me, my parents, my teachers or the environment where we lived. We can ask another question about the reasons of those attitudes like structure of society, people’s lifestyle, economic structure of the country where we lived. The number of questions can be increased.

When we decide on something in our daily life, we always listen to our inner voice to be guided for right choice. The determinants of our inner voice might be religion, social norms or our education. So as we see there is no exact definition what is wrong or what is right. However, we have some fundamental basic criteria for something right or wrong. Killing someone is both unethical attitude and it is also crime. Likewise, stealing someone’s property is both unethical attitude and it is also crime for heavy sentence in almost every country. On the other hand, violation of intellectual property rights was accepted as a crime but this issue is still on the agenda of countries whether they apply the law or rules strictly or not. Violation of intellectual property rights is also questioned by people in ethical aspects. I think we are all agreed that it is unethical but sometimes we have strong reasons for doing that such as the tax rates of government on those products or profit margins of all intermediaries.

I many times downloaded songs, movies or some software programs from internet without paying any fee and I am still doing that even if I know it is illegal and also unethical but whenever I live such a situation I ask myself why I make that kind of behavior. Let assume that I download songs of a popular music group from internet. If the price of that CD was 5 dollars, would I buy it legally? Yes I bought it from where it is sold but the price of that CD is not 5 dollars. People need to be socialized, people need to read, people need to enjoy and many more. For all these aims, people should go to Red Sox or/and Patriots matches, people should go cinema and theatre and people should buy books, newspapers. When all these necessities are brought together, it makes much money. Can everybody afford it? I think many people answer saying “no”.

A few years ago, one of my friends told me that some publishers printed both original copy of books and also offsets of them. The most important motivation element for them is making more profit. More profit for business, more affordable life for people, more effort and labor force for owner of the product and less tax for government. As a human being, put yourself into the most appropriate place among these actors.

I downloaded songs from internet, I am still downloading them and I will download them if all variables are as long as same.

Source:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.iyibilgi.com/images/haber/16941.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.iyibilgi.com/haber.php%3Fhaber_id%3D72000&usg=__Azc_mzkKORB-dD6SfvC__AqW9zs=&h=155&w=222&sz=12&hl=tr&start=17&um=1&tbnid=iS_VM2yVCHQ5_M:&tbnh=75&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3Detik%26hl%3Dtr%26rlz%3D1C1CHMB_trTR324TR324%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

No comments:

Post a Comment