Monday, November 9, 2009

BOSTON


When we received this assignment two weeks ago, I thought it would be easy to write about what I believe. However, today I am reading my third attempt at the perfect essay after two cancelled drafts. I have realized it is extremely difficult to express feelings and ideas in 3 minutes. I think our professor assumes that we can write such an article in an hour, but the reality is different. I found myself constantly writing and re-writing sentences. I even considered writing an essay entitled, “I Believe Writing an Article in English for People Whose First Language is Not English is Definitely Challenging Especially in the Process of Their Language Improvement”. Finally, I gave that idea up and decided to write about Boston in the sense of contribution to the quality of each of our lives. This essay will be some kind of monolog.

I think impressions of people about Boston depend on many different reasons such as duration of their staying here or their purpose of visiting or living in Boston. Some people are born and live here, while others come here for a shorter period of time like us and some people come here just as tourists. Looking and seeing have different meanings. People who come to Boston as a tourist look at the city and they visit some tourist sites. They enjoy what they do but we cannot expect them to feel the city. People who live in Boston see the city which means they can see and feel what the people coming for vacation cannot.

So, you are thinking that where the point that I believe is. You are right so far I have not stated anything about it yet. What I would like to share with you is I believe Boston is a city that transcends a surface level experience, rather one needs to dip deeper to truly experience Boston in its entirety. You can say transportation facilities, cost of living, number of social and cultural events, and so on. All these are required to decide on it but there are some more for me like nature, river, sea or ocean. Last ones are really important to me. Whenever we get bored or we have problems in our minds we need fresh air and also sound and view of water. Furthermore, walking under the colorful trees or fishing relaxes our bodies and minds worth to many things. Let me share an anecdote with you. There is an advertisement in some countries about a well known credit card company. In short, it says in that advertisement “value of buying tickets for you and your girlfriend is this amount and value of having dinner together with her is that amount but warm smiling and hugging of her is invaluable. There are things in life which money doesn’t work, for the rests that credit card is enough”. Why I said it to you is stressing on some special moments which cannot be felt easily. Boston contains many beauties which gives you those kinds of special moments. As many other attractive cities, it also provides activities, social events in some areas such as arts, history, outdoor activities, sports, science, tours, family fun, and shopping.

So far I have looked to Boston but I hope I will be able to see it as well soon. I believe Boston is a good city to live.

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment