Thursday, November 5, 2009

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS


Good evening everybody! 2 weeks ago our professor told us that we should write an article about which we really believed. So during these 2 weeks time I thought to write an article such as renewable energy source, relationships between people, education system, and political struggles of nations or why people have different believes. However, I didn’t know how I could handle the subjects because all these topics are so serious not to finish in 3 minutes speech. Finally, I decided to write something which actually was not I believed but I wanted to believe.

How many mistakes have you been able to count so far? If they are more than 10, I am not going to keep talking.

I tried to write something about us and my speech will cover topics on international students and their adaptation process. I will mention what the main problems are and how we can overcome these problems. When we came to the US leaving behind all our caring families and facilities, we had to start facing lots of problems to adjust to new life. All we looked for places to live and we needed to know where to eat and do shopping. These were beginnings for us in foreign country. After that, we have been facing with cultural shock, home sickness, language learning, social barriers, and academic difficulties.

Are you still counting the number of my mistakes? Should I keep going?

Each of these problems is not to deal with. Especially language is always a big problem for international students. I don’t know how many of us come from countries where English is not frequently spoken but we sometimes feel the stress in our academic and daily life. Although we already have English skill proved at least by TOEFL, most of us find it difficult keep up with our classmates and people. Sometimes we have problems in keeping our confidence. Sometimes, when finding Americans roaming and discussing within their groups, I would feel a little bit hard to catch up with them and awkward to join the talking’s. We have also some academic difficulties resulting from language which indirectly increase our workload burden. For example, while an American student can finish a book in an hour, an international student who doesn’t speak English as a native language may spend 3 hours to finish it.

After saying all these difficulties, it is time to talk about suggestions. I checked some internet sources concerning adaptation to new life for international students. They suggest us to be patient, keep an open mind, build a healthy life, work on improving English, make some new friends, and look for help from institutions and work hard. I can say my point of view that I am patient enough, open minded and I am going to swimming after class to build healthy life. Also I write 3 articles every week to improve my English, every day my circle of friends is expanding (finding girl friend will be talked you during break time!!!). I don’t know whether the topic is relating with believing or not believing but at least I can say that I want to believe.

Source:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/75/184848118_f14b4c7668.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment